Part I Vocabulary and Structure 词汇与语法(共 20 题，每题 1.5 分，共 30 分)
1. ________ trees were cut down. And many birds lost their homes.
A. Thousands of B. Two thousand of
C. Thousand of D. Two thousands
2. I agree with you to a certain ________ but not entirely.
A. level B. part C. degree D. way
3. The driver ____ the passengers off at the supermarket and then went to the next stop.
A. fell B. sank C. dropped D. stepped
4. I used to _________ at 6:30, but now l get used to __________at 7:00.
A. got up, getting up B. gets up, getting up
C. getting up, get up D. get up, getting up
5. If one_____ a crime, he will be punished.
A. makes B. commits C. performs D. achieves
6. Nothing is __________ time; yet nothing is less valued.
A. more precious than B. less precious than
C. most precious D. as precious as
7. Mary is the only student in my class _____ speaks Chinese.
A. who B. which C. where D. what
8. I had great difficulty ________ English when I was in middle school.
A. to learn B. on learning
C. in learning D. for learning
9. The manager at once lost his ______ when he learned that his secretary was late again for the meeting.
A. mind B. temper C. passion D. way
10. If it is ______to you ，I will visit you next Monday.
A. convenient B. fair C. easy D. comfortable
11. When the lights turn red, the traffic _____ stop.
A. can B. may C. must D. need
12. I prefer swimming ______ running.
A. than B. on C. with D. to
13. If you insist on doing that, please take me into_____.
A. think B. thinking C. thought D. consideration
14. I wanted to find ______ to live. But unluckily, I couldn’t find _______.
A. somewhere; somewhere B. anywhere; anywhere
C. somewhere; anywhere D. anywhere; somewhere
15. It was well-known that Thomas Edison ______ the electric lamp.
A. discovered B. invented C. found D. developed
16. The manager promised to keep me _______ of how our business was going on.
A. to be informed B. on informing
C. informed D. informing
17. Finally，we came _______ the conclusion that he has been telling lies al the time.
A. of B. into C.to D.at
18. If Jack ____ to the office tomorrow, give him the letter please.
A. come B. comes C. came D. come
19. The letters PTA_____parect-teacher association.
A. stand for B. call for C. reach for D. care for
20. Although it is raining hard _____.
A. Tom still wants to go out
B. and Tom still wants to go out
C. that Tom still wants to go out
D. but Tom still wants to go out
Part II Cloze 完形填空(共 20 题，每题 1 分， 共 20 分)
When I was young, I spent my summer vacations on my grandparents’ farm. The summer
that I graduated from college, I __21__ my grandparents once again. When I arrived, I discovered that there was a family __22__ in progress.
Grandpa’s dog and hunting partner, Rusty, had taken on a very bad __23__ in his old age. He had begun __24__ into the chicken coop(鸡笼)and eggs. In the eyes of the local famers, __25__ dogs started stealing eggs, there was no __26__ to cure them. They knew there was only one thing to be done __27__ such a dog—you had to shoot it and the sooner the __28__.Rusty and Grandpa were old friends. Grandpa certainly didn’t __29__ to shoot Rusty, but he knew it needed to be done. The “egg money” was Grandma’s private income, so you can imagine __30__ she felt about the problem. __31__ the inexperienced confidence of youth, I told Grandpa that I thought I could “cure” the egg-stealing dog. I wanted to at least have a __32__ to save Rusty’s life, and save Grandpa from the sadness of __33__ Rusty.The next morning, I broke open six fresh eggs and put them in Rusty’s bowl __34__ at the door to the chicken coop. Rusty came __35__ and noticed the eggs. He quickly __36__ the eggs and happily walked off for his nap (打盹).The following morning I did __37__ thing. I put the eggs a few feet away from the chicken coop, toward the back door of the farmhouse __38__ Grandma usually fed Rusty. The next day I again moved the bowl closer to the house ，and added some dog food to the eggs. Every day I moved the bowl closer to the back door, mixing more dog food and __39__ eggs. By the time the bowl reached the door, it was all dog food and no eggs. Rusty bad again become __40__ to looking for his food at the back door of the house, and never again went into the chicken coop.
21. A. watched B. noticed C. visited
22. A. peace B. stress C. crisis
23. A. habit B. pattern C. custom
24. A. breaking B. to break C. throwing
25. A. once B. before C. while
26. A. desire B. route C. way
27. A. with B. at C. for
28. A. wider B. better C. happier
29. A. care B. start C. want
30. A. how B. when C. what
31. A. In B. With C. On
32. A. rate B. chance C. pity
33. A. losing B. helping C. worrying
34. A. next B. right C. behind
35. A. before B. after C. along
36. A. saw B. ate C. left
37. A. specific B. same C. kind
38. A. what B. which C. where
39. A. fewer B. more C. little
40. A. accustomed B. relate C. interested
Part III Reading Comprehension (共 8 题，每题 2.5 分，共 20 分)
Passage 1: Questions 41 to 44 are based on the following passage.
Most people have had a dog or wanted one as their companion at some time in their lives. If you are thinking of buying a dog, however, you should first decide what sort of companion you need and whether the dog is likely to be happy in the surroundings you can provide. Specialists’ advice is useful to help you choose the most suitable kind of dog. But in part the decision depends on common sense.
Different dogs were originally developed to perform specific tasks. So, if you want a dog to protect you or your house, for example, you should choose the one that has the right size and characteristics. You must also be ready to devote a great deal of time to training the dog when it is young and give it the exercise it needs throughout its life, unless you live in the countryside and can let it run freely. Dogs are demanding pets. Cats love the house and they are satisfactory with their place where it is safe, but a dog is loyal to its master and consequently wants him to show proof of his affection. The best time to buy a baby dog is when it is between 6 and 8 weeks old so that it can transfer its love from its mother to its master. If baby dogs have not established a relationship with the human being until they are over three months old, their strong relationship will always be with dogs. They are likely to be shy when they are brought out into the world to become good pets.
41. Which of the following is NOT true according to the passage?
A. You can always get help from the specialists.
B. Common sense is the most important when choosing a dog.
C. You should decide what kind of dog you want.
D. Size and characteristics of the dogs should be considered too.
42. What is mentioned as a consideration in buying a dog？
A. The color of the dog.
B. The price of the dog.
C. Whether the dog will fit the environment.
D. Whether the dog will get along with the other pets in the house.
43. Why does the writer say a dog is a more demanding pet than a cat?
A. It must be trained so that it won’t bite.
B. It demands more food and space.
C. It needs more love and care.
D. It must be looked after carefully.
44. Why is it advised to buy a baby dog under three months old?
A. It’s easier to buy a baby dog under three months old.
B. They are less likely to be shy with human beings.
C. They are less likely to run away.
D. It’s easier for them to form a relationship with their masters.
Passage 2: Questions 45 to 48 are based on the following passage.
You probably know who Marie Curie was, but you may not have heard of Rachel Carson. Of the outstanding ladies listed below, who do you think was the most important woman of the past 100 years?
Jane Addams (1860- 1935)
Anyone who has ever been helped by a social worker has Jane Addams to thank. Addams helped the poor and worked for peace. She encouraged a sense of community by creating shelters and promoting education and services for people in need in 1931, Addams became the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize.
Rachel Carson (1907- 1964)
If it weren’t for Rachel Carson, the environmental movement might not exist today. Her popular 1962 book Silent Spring raised awareness of the dangers of pollution and the harmful effects of chemicals on humans and on the world's lakes and oceans.
Sandra Day O’Connor (1930-present)
When Sandra Day O’Connor finished third in her class at Stanford Law School, in 1952, she could not find work at a law firm because she was a woman. She became an Arizona state senator and in 1981 the first woman to join the U.S. Supreme Court. O’Connor gave the deciding vote in many important cases during her 24 years on the top court.
Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
On December 1, 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Rosa Parks would not give up her seat on a bus to a passenger. Her simple act landed Parks in prison. But it also set off the Montgomery bus boycott. It lasted for more than a year, and kicked off the civil-rights movement. “The only tired I was, was tired of giving in,” said Parks.
45. What is Jane Addams noted for in history?
A. Her social work.
B. Her writing on the dangers of pollution.
C. Her efforts to win a prize.
D. Her poor background.
46. Why couldn’t Sandra Day O’Connor work at a law firm?
A. Her lack of proper training in law.
B. Her little work experience in court.
C. The discrimination against women.
D. The poor financial conditions.
47. Who made a great contribution to the civil-rights movement in the US?
A. Jane Addams.
B. Rachel Carson.
C. Sandra Day O’Connor.
D. Rosa Parks.
48. What can we infer about the women mentioned in the text?
A. They are highly educated.
B. They love the environment.
C. They are pioneers.
D. They are peace-lovers.
Part IV. Translation 句子汉译英(共 5 题， 每题 3 分， 共 15 分)
Part V Writing (15 分)
54. Directions: You are to write in no less than 100 words on the topic A Penny Saved is a
Penny Earned. You should base your composition on the outline given in Chinese below.